By: Katie McFarland of momslittlerunningbuddy.com
When I found out I was pregnant, one of the first things I worried about was how was I going to continue to pursue my own fitness goals. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that once you become a mom, that becomes your first priority.
Flash forward 6 years, as a parent of two now, the list of “things” that require my attention is HUGE and seems to grow by the minute. It becomes very easy to minimize my own personal goals or even quit them altogether when faced with a daunting list of other responsibilities.
However, I also understand that in order to be the best parent I can be, I need to be the best person I can be and that involves continuing to push towards new and interesting goals. I’m here to tell you that it IS possible and you CAN include the entire family in your efforts – it just takes a little planning.
Some of my keys to success include:
- Catering your run or workout so that it benefits the littles and you
- Plan kid friendly stops:
- Access to safe clean public restrooms with changing tables
- Elevator friendly subway stations
- Kid-friendly entertainment (i.e. Duck pond, Bubbles, playground)
- Food stops that appeal to the little ones
- Accessible stroller paths
- Include your kids in the workout, as a way to shake up the run/jog
- Stop the run and take on the playground
- Run around in a game of tag or go up and down the slide as fast as you can to get you and your kids’ hearts pumping
- Have the right equipment
I have always said that children don’t have to be a burden on your goals…they can (and should) see you continue to push yourself. A jogging stroller suited to your running habits will enable and encourage you to go further. Add to that a good GPS watch, like the Garmin Forerunner® 35 or vívoactive®, and you’ll be able to see just how far that freedom takes you and your family.
Which leads me to the next question…How do you pick the right stroller for you? Well, let’s consider that different terrains are made easier by different strollers.
- With a fixed front wheel for added stability and a hand brake for downhill control, users can hit the trails with a little one (or two) in tow. The pneumatic knobby tires and state-of-the-art adjustable suspension system smooth out bumps along the way.
- This stroller is perfect for sprinting, endurance training or even just a nice long walk.
- It comes with a fitness kit, including a handlebar console, exercise manual and fitness resistance bands.
- BOB’s most deluxe all-terrain stroller. It has hand-activated rear drum brakes for the best downhill control.
- The tried-and-true BOB stroller for outdoor exercising.
My youngest running buddy and I love to run with my BOB Revolution Pro on Grant’s Trail here in St. Louis. It’s a challenging run for me, and a scenic route for her. She loves seeing the Clydesdales! Sometimes I’ll throw in some sprints….she loves the wind blowing on her. Add to that, some squats, lunges, and leg lifts and my running buddy and I are happy!
What’s your favorite way to get your family in on your workout?