One of the reasons our Stroller Strides program is so popular nationwide is that moms want to be a healthy role model for their children. You might not realize, however, how important your own body image is to your daughter’s future. Our talk and behaviors greatly influence our children, especially our daughters. We may take for granted how much they take in, even at a young age.
Did You Know…
- Approximately 7 million girls and women struggle with eating disorders
- 42% of elementary school students between the 1st and 3rd grades want to be thinner
- 80% of children who are ten years old are afraid of being fat
- 51% of 9 and 10 year old girls feel better about themselves if they are on a diet
Attitudes toward body image are formed early in life, probably earlier than you ever realized. It’s up to us as parents to start our children off with strong self-image and to combat the pressures from the media. Our own unresolved issues about weight and body image may inadvertently contribute to the pressure on our daughters. The way you speak and act with your own body will have a definite impact on your daughter.
How You Can Help Your Children…
- Keep negative feelings about your own body to yourself. (Better yet, don’t waste energy harboring them at all!)
- Be proud of your body and all it can do. Focus on function!
- Take compliments when they are given to you!
Stay away from diets. Let your daughters see you eat a healthy and balanced diet every day. Time and time again, the clients who tell me that their children are poor eaters are the worst eaters themselves. Your daughters need to see you eat.
Don’t let your daughter hear you discussing your weight or dieting. Be very careful about conversations with friends. They hear more than you realize!
Try not to hide your body from your daughter. Be proud of your curves. Being open about your body shows your daughter that you are comfortable and that there’s nothing to be ashamed of.
Be careful of the media. Choose your television programs and magazines carefully. Images of waif models and extreme makeovers send definite messages to your daughter about what she should look like.
Make your children feel beautiful and special every day.