Coffee, red wine, orange juice with spices; odd sounding flavors complement to create depth of flavors to enhance the delicious grass fed beef. ( For more information about the importance of grass fed beef visit www.tasteofhealing.com)
- 3-4 pounds Beef Short Ribs
- 1 cup Carrots, peeled and diced (2-3)
- 2 cups Yellow Onions, diced ( 1 medium)
- 2 cups Celeriac Root, peeled and diced (1 small)
- 1 cup Celery, stringed and diced (2 -3 ribs)
- 6 cloves mashed Garlic
- 1 cup fresh Orange Juice
- 1 cup strong Coffee
- 4 cups Brown Beef Stock
- 1 cup crushed Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Barnet Bay Butchers Rub seasoning (Savory Spice Shop)
- 1 teaspoon ground Cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- 4-6 tablespoons Ghee or Coconut Oil for cooking
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Pat the beef dry with paper towels.
- Heat a large dutch oven or casserole over medium high heat, add 2-3 tablespoons Ghee to the casserole and sauté the beef until nicely browned on all sides.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add a little more ghee and slow caramelize the onions. Add the rest of the vegetables and cook a few more minutes until softened.
- Add the seasonings, orange juice, wine, tomatoes and stock to the pan, bring to a simmer.
- Place the over back in the dutch oven, cover and place in the oven. Regulate heat so that liquid simmers very slowly for 3 to 4 hours. The meat is done when a fork pierces it easily.
- Taste for seasoning.